Thursday, March 01, 2007

A word from our sponsor...

pays to keep the Ebby saga airing on this blog frequency..*VBS* Those "Pieces" people pay the bills, so here's that commercial for quilting. Another 15" sq. dolly quilt for Daddy's Day Care...two more on the ironing board...! Lovely use of 'old stuff', good interpretation. No fuss, no muss, no bother. And while visiting blogs I came across one using dryer sheets as foundation for the HeartStrings type block. I'm trying to remember if it was Fiona at Scraps in Progress, or Norma at Silver Thimble Quilting. I know that Norma wrote a really NEAT post on using crayons to create blocks for a quilt. With several good links. Check out her blog at http://silverthimblequilting.blogspot.com/ I had tried some string blocks using my 5" X ? drier sheets sometime last year. It works great, they can stay attached to the block, giving more stability in the quilt, and also add a nice soft smell. I don't use them for string piecing until I've used them in the drier. It just takes a quick smooth out with the iron, and I trim them to the 5" square size.

I use this brand of color catcher in the washer if I'm afraid of excessive dye. Here is the box( 24 count) a used sheet and the string block I made from it yesterday. If I remember right, the color sheet is 5" X 6.25", and I'll probably leave it that size for the quilt top. For sure I can make 24 blocks of these over a matter of time, as I have 7 or 8 already and will be making those up. One less thing to dump into the trash. The weight of these color sheets, if you haven't used them, is about the same as a fairly light interfacing.

13 comments:

Carol said...

What a great way to recycle.

Patti said...

Carol took the exact words right out of my mouth! Clever, Finn. What a neat looking little doll quilt!

His Office, My Studio said...

Great idea and quilt. I dye dryer sheet and use them on my postcards and art quilts.

Now I will try to use them as foundations. Also the dryer sheets smell good.

Libby said...

I keep saying I'm going to jump on the 'string bandwagon.' I bet the dryer sheets smell nice, too.

Silverthimble said...

I made up all my used dryer sheets into string blocks, but I never even thought of using the color catchers! I also use the color catchers when I think there will be some excess dye floating around the washer--I just love them. I haven't made my crayon block yet--I am dying to try the coloring on fabric. I have been too busy lately with everyone else's projects. Time to take a break and have some fun! Thanks for the mention in your post BTW!

Silverthimble said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fiona said...

What an excellent idea (but sadly not mine). Love the doll quilt - I'm off to IKEA next week and I'm sorely tempted to buy a doll's bed I've seen there just for myself to make some quilts to go on it.

Shelina said...

I've used dryer sheets for applique, but I haven't done any foundation piecing. One of these days ...

Linda C said...

I will have to save the color catcher sheets from here on out instead of just tossing them. We don't use the fabric softener sheets preferring the downy ball thing but I like this idea---a lot!

Sweet P said...

Another wonderful doll quilt. Soon I'll be making doll quilts.

So Ebby let you pick her up! Cool! She is learning to trust you.

I always loved getting a new box crayons. I always wanted a box of 64, but my mom only bought the box of 24. These days I have artist colored pencils instead of crayons.

Darcie said...

What a perfect little size for smaller foundations! We quilters are an innovative lot, aren't we!

Clare said...

I don't use dryer sheets (fresh air instead of tumble dryer), but I do use Color Catchers. Note to self not to put them in the bin, but to hang on to them.

Beth said...

oh I just LOVE the color catcher idea! My dryer sheets are just a bit too thin for my 'foundation' tastes..but the color catcher..JUST RIGHT!