Saturday, March 03, 2007

A Year of Quilts......


Christmas 2002 brought me a new calendar from DD#1. She had gone back to some of the children I had made baby quilts for, and taken a picture of them
at their current age...posing with their baby quit. She and I have a deal,I make baby quits for her friends as they have babies, and I get a picture of the baby on or with the quilt. There have been many babies and quilts over the past 20 years. During 2003, I got to enjoy seeing one of my quilts and it's child each month, all year long. The quality of her photographs is so good, I couldn't possibly part with that calendar...*VBS* Today I am camera-less! And not in a good way. It's lost. I think the ice worms and snow snakes snuck in here and took it to photograph their midnight antics. I've looked high and low, but no camera. So a scanned picture it is, for today. The charmer in the picture is Baby D, renamed Nicky by his new adoptive parents. He got this bright and happy toddler size string quilt, complete with frog borders and backing. When you are making string quilts, don't forget about flannel scraps! I don't cut them as narrow, and I don't use foundation. They piece up nicely and trimmed to 6.5" work well in a quilt.
I have new things to show you, but first I gotta find that camera!!

10 comments:

Sweet P said...

I hope you find your cameral.

What a great deal to have with DD #1. I bet the fabrics shown in the pictures would make a great history topic as well as the stories of the children.

Libby said...

The calendar is such a neat idea for a gift - and the quilts, a treasure for the little ones without question. You touch the lives of so many, Finn - and we are all the richer for it.

Carolyn said...

What a thoughtful and perfect gift that calendar was! I hope you find your camera soon...I'll bet Ebby hid it away somewhere so that when you least expect it, she can take a picture of YOU!!! :o)

Elaine Adair said...

You have new things to show us???? Like ... what? Oh dear, hurry and find that camera - can't wait for more of your Show and Tell.

The photos is so cheerful - a happy child, on his cheery quilt. I always read your posts first.

Elaine Adair said...

Oh gosh, poor grammar! It's not the first time! Embarrassed me.

Unknown said...

Finn - what a wonderful idea for a gift - and so good to see the recipients appreciate your quilts

Lynn Dykstra said...

I love this idea of making a calendar. The family of a woman in my mother's guild put on a quilt show for her 75th birthday--they asked for all quilts given out over the years to be returned for a few days, and she got to see her lifetime's work.
Lynn

Linda C said...

DD#1 could not have thought of a better gift for you. Not only the quilts themselves but their owners--very clever of her.

Cher said...

perfect gift and thanks for the reminder that you can include flannel strips/strings-hope that camera shows up very soon.

Judy said...

Now that looks like one happy kid!! The quilts are all wonderful!

Glad the kitty is getting calmer. I do the same with mine. They don't like being held, but I make them wait and get calm before I will put them down. It helps and they learn patience!