Friday, August 03, 2007

The ticking clock, about being who you are..and 'mail call'....

As I came into the computer/sewing room tonight, I thought about how quickly it gets to be Friday again. It seems I just breathed a sigh of relief that it was Monday morning and the weekend was over....and now it's Friday. It hasn't been an 'average' week in any sense of the word. One of those "life keeps happening while you were making other plans" deals, and lots of "Murphy's Law". Most of it is resolved, at least most of what affects me. There is, and will be, the continuing coverage of the bridge disaster...one of the 8 bridges that connects St.Paul to Minneapolis, some 40 miles west of me. Even when you've lost no one...the images are very disturbing and scary. It's been 48 hours when people to hug would be appreciated...but not available. That's life. Time passes, everything changes and then changes again.
I've been thinking about orphans and orphan blocks again today. I sewed and posted a picture over at Riding the Orphan Train. It's a Work in Progress. but it got me to thinking about "being" who we are. I am a 'puzzle piecer' and a 'gleaner'. I think I start with a "piece"(life, home or quilt)and then look for what goes with it, not necessarily color, but another piece...like it's a puzzle. And I am a 'seeker', in that I'm detail oriented about finding things. I can 'glean' the bits from where they lie, or hide, and gather them together to make something that is 'whole'. It's what I know how to do,the direction that life pushes me...to gather the odd bits. And that's what works for me and makes me the happiest. Don't hand me a basket with a 'kit' for a quilt inside, give me the few leftover pieces that you didn't need and send me on my way. I might NOT want to leave you, especially if you make me feel secure, but I MUST, because that is who I am.
On a less serious note, mail call brought me another block for my memories quilt, the "Pieces From OUR Scrapbag" that I will be making. Katie, at Mismatched Quilter(see my sidebar for a link) has been making Tonya's wonky letters and working on a challenge quilt for Space Travel. She sent me 'hugs' that will last forever..*VBS* Thanks Katie!! I love it and that you left it big enough for me to size. The second block is from Vera at KC Quilter, *VBS*, she sent it as an orphan block, but I will use it in the "Pieces" quilt. I'll add your name to it Vera, thank you so much, it's such a sweet little bird. I love it!

And there you have, musings and mail, and reflection. Not nearly all of what is on my mind these days, but enough for today. If you love someone, tell them...*VBS*

11 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

What lovely treasures the postman brought you.

Clare said...

I love Vera's bird. Thanks for the link to Katie's blog. What amazing letters.

Katie said...

I've been thinking about you the last few days, being so close to the bridge disaster and hoping that wasn't the day you had to go to the big city. We never know. One day at a time. Hugs to everyone there. Glad my block finally arrived. Yes, hugs to you forever. Love that little bird. I'm really wanting to do some hand work. Maybe next.

~Bren~ said...

You are just such a blessing in blogland. I love reading your posts! The 2 blocks that made their way to you are wonderful!!

Quilting Memories said...

I do so enjoy reading your blogs. I think they give us all something to think about. I was not aware you were so close to the bridge disaster, I can not imagine how those people must have felt. My heart and prayers go out to all touched by the tradegedy.
I love your new blocks, can't wait to see what you do with them. It will be georgeous, I'm sure. I envy you!!!

Magpie Sue said...

I love Vera's little bird too!

Didn't realize you were that close to the Twin Cities either. Wish I were physically close enough to give you the hugs you need when you need them.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Katie's letters are so amazing - I love how she makes them. Very wonderful gifts.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

I am with you, i have never "kitted" yet, and with about 100+ quilt styles i would like to make, i can't see a kit appearing any time soon! Tracey

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You've spoken some wise words. Yes, we're all living our daily lives and going about our business in our own ways never knowing for sure what's next. Thanks. I am a collector, too; pieces here, moments there... memories are made of these.

Libby said...

Bits and pieces . . . putting them all together is what makes a quilt, a home, a family . . . where would we be without them *s*

Yvonne said...

Love your new blocks!