Monday, September 03, 2007

School days, school days.....

....happy golden rule days....reading and writing, and 'rithmatic...
and what else did we need except an apple for the teacher, a hanky pinned to our dress, hair neatly braided and a bright yellow pencil? *VBS*
So simple then, so very, very simple.The excitement of summer sliding into the cooling days of autumn, the first blush of color on the maple leaves. Dry, tired worn out grass and a senses of anticipation. The county fairs come, and go...a sure sign that summer is nearly over. The fruits of the garden harvest glow in bright glass jars, proudly bearing ribbons of many colors. Crisp veggies grow limp on the their judging plates as the days slip by. The fattened, prime animals have been judged and counted and found worthy. Another chapter is ending...summer, soon to be a memory. And then that long awaited day...coolish, sunny with shadows, a new freshness in the air, and off in the distance, the telling call of the old bell in the tower. Ringing to summon you back to the classroom, to pencils, books, spelling tests, the smell of paste, chalk, newly waxed floors and varnished furniture. It's all so familiar once you've passed the first year of school. It becomes a thread woven into the fiber of your being. Always another autumn, always another first day of school. Even ancient hearts stir with excitement and memories as that big day approaches. Perhaps it is not so for everyone. Perhaps it is different with males. I can only speak my truth. And every year, about this time...in the far distant part of my memory, rises a sense of change coming. Of new beginnings, and old continuings. Of leaves to scuff through, and apples to crunch. Of creaky schoolyard swings, and the strange metal smell of the slide on the playground. Of lunch room odors drifting up and outward. All the parts of that particular 'piece' come drifting up from my mind's scrapbag. Dig in your scrapbag today and see what you can find...*S*
And buy yourself a bright new pencil, in red or blue or green, or maybe even yellow. Strange,in adulthood, how we grow away from the idea of writing with a pencil. Draw a picture, write a note, make a heart with Billy loves Susie written there, just for fun! And sing outloud.."school days, school days..." Dare Ya!!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, nice walk down memory lane!

Annie
: )

QuiltMom said...

Hi Finn,
The fall and school is always a promise of a new beginning as I am a teacher. Tomorrow I will meet a whole new group of kindergarten age children who will greet me with smiles and tears and together we will embark on a new journey. While our trip together has a map there will be lots of things to take us on different paths. It is an exciting time and this will be my 30 th class of students. What fun it shall be!!!
Regards from a Western Canadian quilter,
Anna
quiltmom@telus.net

Melanie said...

It should be mandatory that everyone buy school supplies...There's nothing like the smell of crayons and that feel of new pencils in your hand. When I read your post, I definitely had the knew we had the "link"... great memories thanks...

meggie said...

A great post, with great memories. OUr school years were different, we had 3 terms per year, & our longest break was the Xmas New Year 6 weeks. Now our countries have 4 terms a year, & shorter breaks.

Quilting Memories said...

What great memories,I always liked school, but can't remember getting any new clothes ,not even supplies, but we always got new shoes!!! We only got one pair a year, so I guess that is why I remember them. But I did like school.
Hope my children remember the good things about school. My son hated school and my daughter loved it. Funnt,though, he went to a trade school, she didn't. She was to eager to "get a job". I wonder if she would do differently now?

Katie said...

Just had to dig in the drawer and I'm drawing and singing. Dare you to dare me again. LOL Katie

Magpie Sue said...

You're so good at stirring up happy memories. :- )

Clare said...

The scratchiness of the new school uniform and the ghastly school beret! The smell of a new wooden pencil box holding a squigey rubber/eraser and dark green Venus pencils, and the smell of polished floors! DD starts new school year tomorrow. Her bags are ready to go. Her 3 (yes 3!) pencil cases are full to bursting and she'll be at the starting gate at 7.30 am waiting for the bus.

Thanks for bringing those smells back.

KC Quilter said...

Wonderful post, Finn! I adore school supplies and find that one of the things I miss most from my teaching days (besides the kids) is the excitement of those new pencils, crayons, Big Chief tablets, and Prang watercolor paints.

QuiltingFitzy said...

mmm...new pencils, a fresh box of crayons, clean sheets of paper. I got in trouble in Kindergarten for going ahead on my art project. Shoulda foreseen the blooming artist, I tell ya!

Even now, new office supplies make me swoon, always the eager student at heart.

Libby said...

A new outfit, lunch box, and note book with pencils . . . every September just holds so much promise of learning, friendships and adventures. As always, you put it just right, Finn *s*

Jeanne said...

Mmmmm, back-to-school memories ...
Jeanne :)

Unknown said...

Finn i love writing with pencil - there's something very special about starting to write with that very sharp point and as your script continues the point blunts and your writing gets softer and softer until you just have to sharpen it to that point again. I always take minutes at work with pencil, not because I can do shorthand I always take notes in my own truncated version of longhand but there's something very businesslike about starting a meeting with 3 or 4 newly sharpened pencils next to my pad on the table and working my way through them as the meeting progresses

FatQuarterQuiltFarm said...

Great Photo!!!

I alway miss going back to school in the fall and I love a big FAT pencil like the kindergardeners used to use......Sorry I missed out on your big giveaway.....but I will be checking back ...just in case!!!!

Terry said...

Brand new clothes and a new book sack. The new pencils and crayons. That is what I think of when I think of the first day of school. Still today the smell of a new box of crayons brings back many memories. Terry