Monday, March 24, 2008

Five Magic Words....

Betsy and I had lunch today...corn pancakes with fresh maple syrup...yum! We both adore them, but are in the minority. So we eat them together *VBS* It's a special treat! Not fancy, but like friendship, warm, satifying and stays with you.
Betsy and I have been friends for more than 20 years now. What a lucky day when her sister-in-law introduced us over the basting of a navy and pink Ohio Star quilt...one of Betsy's first. My, how times have changed!! I gave her the first orange fabric she ever had to make a quilt for her Dad. And there has been no looking back.
This quilt(close-up only) is several months old, but only recently got hung in the dining room. It's a sunny room, with windows on 3 sides, and we use it to baste quilts. Betsy loves that FISH fabric. She has purchased it in more stores than I can remember,over the years, always buying several yards. I think she's cornered the market on that one! I love it, but only have a small piece, supplied by Betsy...LOL. If you love it, you share it!
Over the past weekend, Betsy managed to create yet another WHOLE quilt top, mostly with 2" strips left from other projects, and a few newly cut ones for good measure. She works with amazing speed!! It's a wonderful top, but I delibertely DIDN'T photograph it today *VBS*(I have my reasons *G*). I was so happy just looking at it, lying there on the mexican tile floor.
And then she said those MAGIC words.......there are exactly 5 of them......."Do you want my scraps?" Well, that puts me OVER the MOON! So, the scraps in the pile are 2" leftover strips...not from the FISH quilt, but from the new one. I'm almost certain what I will make with them. I'll have to cut more to go with them....she's used ALL the orange!
And to help me "Paint My Wagon(as the song says)"(note quotation marks!) she even lent me one of her NEW books *VBS* Am I happy camper or what????? *S*S*S*S*S*

16 comments:

Amelia said...

Love those colors of the scraps. What ever you make with them with be showy - like a peacock!

meggie said...

Wonderful scraps!! Lovely friendship. Old friends are best friends.

Diana said...

I love the energy of that strip quilt! Wow! And what a lovely pile of scraps to play with. Have fun!

Linda C said...

Every boday needs a pal like your Betsy! I think you are indeed blessed and what's more you know you are. What a fun quilt she has made and even better, you get to replenish your scrap bag with the leftovers.

If you get a chance, pop over to my place to see that I finally have that divorce quilt about ready to pin--slightly rearranged and bordered now. Need to do some marking tomorrow.

Norma said...

Betsy is lucky to have you, you are lucky to have Betsy! A friend who would share her scraps is a REAL friend in my book. Then she shared a book.......wow, she is definately a keeper!

You take care my friend and tell Betsy, Norma said Hello!

Quilting Memories said...

Happy, Happy Finn
Happy, Happy Betsy
Friendships make all of us happy, am so glad you can share your love of quilting with your friend. I have 2 friends, have know both for about 40 years and neither quilts, But that is ok, we still have so much to talk about,even if it is long distance.Take care, hope your Easter was Happy as well. J

QuiltedSimple said...

What a wonderful pile of scraps - I can't wait to see what you come up with for them. . .
Kris

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Fun food, a fun friend, fun quilts and fun scraps! You two are two lucky ladies to have such a fun friendship that has endured the test of time :)

Tonya Ricucci said...

What a marvelous day and wheee scraps. I love that quilt of Betsy's - very fun fabric. I'd love to hear what you think of that Caliente Quilts. That one interests me but I've never seen it.

Clare said...

Me too. I like the look of that book. Just right for those scraps. Have fun!

The Calico Cat said...

Nice bunch of scraps... I see a Jan Mullen in there :o) I love how that fish print was used...

Is Betsy the one who did the scrappy 4 patch with strips on point (was a cover quilt @ 1 or 2 years ago?) That quilt is still a UFO in my closet...

BTW I thought that the 5 words had to do with "corn pancakes & Maple Syrup" (But you used the word "fresh")

I've never heard of corn pancakes & my MIL has never had a pancake in her whole life! (I almost passed out when I heard that.)

Melanie said...

What a great post--- I can just feel your happiness in your typing....Like a kid in a candy store.....

Granny Lyn said...

You are truly lucky to have such a friend! Scraps AND corn pancakes??? Enjoy both, and don't forget to show us what you make out of the scraps, they look colorful, just like you like them! tee hee

lyn

Cher said...

a best pal just can not be matched for having fun with! what a wonderful time you have together-whether it's eating corn pancakes or sharing quilty stuff. oh! new scraps and a new book to play with-it just doesn't get any better than that! I know you are having lots of fun with these.

Teresa said...

There is nothing better than having a good friend to share your quilting passion with. Great job on the fish quilt.

Bobbie Bentneedle said...

Ditto on the comments about the scraps but I have a question.
Can you share the recipe for the corn pancakes? I googled and found recipes for cornmeal pancakes and fresh corn pancakes, and ones made with canned whole kernal corn. I'm so confused :0} I always loved the "country griddle cakes" at IHOP that had cream of wheat in them for extra crunchy outsides and wondered if these are anything like that!