Monday, October 06, 2008

Rain, rain...go away...

bother me some other day! Happy Oct. 6th everyone *VBS* It's my birthday week! Or, if I were my oldest DD, I could say "birthday month". The presents began early and I don't mind at all. This lovely book of Wisconsin quilts and a hefty helping of Orphan blocks flew in last week from my sweet friend Julie, in TX. Thank you Julie, I absolutely LOVE everything *VBS* Please note that last Sunday's little fence rail quilt is finished and bound! I finished it up on Friday.
 (Oppps...this picture goes with the next paragraph, and is my gift from Betsy.)And from my sweet DD#2, her DH and Baby L, a "bring it" dinner and this fun volume. They were here for a visit on Saturday. Baby L. is just beginning to crawl, and continues to be a very smiley boy! I love it. The house felt so empty when they left...sigh.
 (This paragraph goes with the picture above...sorry!!)Betsy got into the birthday action early also. She drove me for an opthomolgist appt. on Tuesday and gave me my birthday present. She was in Philly a couple of weeks back and got to see the NEW Gee's Bend exhibit making the rounds of museums. She was in awe of the quilts, including newer quilts being done by the next generation of Gee's Bend quilters. The book it totally AWESOME, and can't help but inspire you. What came across to me, loud and clean is that these quilts begin with a desire to make a quilt. And mostly with what is "at hand", not a pre cut "kit", nor a "in the hang bag" envelope, or even a quilt book. They begin with their scraps(usually odds and ends, plue old clothing)and piece in what Magpie Sue calls the "intutitive" style. Not even specifically a "block" such as the Jacks over Six we used for our Fungly Challenge. The apporach is to "build a quilt" like you would build a house, from "parts". I love it. It's like an echoing refrain similar to what the Orphan Train refain sounds like...."build a quilt, build a quilt, build a quilt".
 And of course, I had to...and Sunday afternoon, which are very, very long at my house, was the perfect time for another "Play Day". Some of these are elderly orphans, pieced back in the 1980's with my Peaky and Spike template set. And some of them are Julie's Orphans *VBS* The question now is "wil it get bigger?", or "Is it finished?". I honestly don't know the answer to either question...what do you think???
Posted by Picasa

25 comments:

Chris Daly said...

Happy Birthday Finn

Myra said...

First, A big Happy Birthday to you Finn! May this next year be better than you last! 8-)
Nice gifties you have there! Lucky lady! 8-)
What size is the little creation you made yesterday? It could be done, and it could be added to... decisions, decisions....?
Have a great day!

Julie in the Barn said...

Happy birthday! Your gifts are all wonderful. I need to find that Cat book for my sister! I finished another project and have 2 more almost done. Just a bit of binding left to do. My orphan bin is getting quite full, however, so an orphan quilt must be added to my to-do list. I never even had an orphan bin until I started reading your blog! Rejects were just called rejects before. Now, of course, they are just potential quilts that haven't been finished yet!

em's scrapbag said...

I think you are very creative and you inspire me with all you do with your scraps. Hope you have a most joyous birthday/month!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Happy Birthday Month to you, Finn!

Enjoy all your treasures :)

The Demanding Doll said...

Happy Birthday fellow Libra. I think you should stretch it out and take a whole month to celebrate.

And please add me to your challenge list. Left a comment in your August post.

julieQ said...

Happiest Birthday! I hope you enjoy your book!

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

Have a wonderful birthday week! The rain is suppose to go away and it's suppose to get warmer again.

jacquie said...

happy birthday...looks like the week is going to be great! i think the quilt will get bigger...

Pam said...

Happy Birthday or month!!!

I certainly agree that the quilt WILL get bigger :)))

Have a wonderful October!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Happy Birthday! Fun orphans to play with - I love the bright colors. I have that Gee's Bend book too - wonderful. Lucky Betsy got to see the quilts!

Babs said...

Happy Birthday week! I like to do that too. Mine's coming up soon.

I love the "Playday" I think it will get bigger also! Just my kinda quilt!

meggie said...

Happy Birthday! I have a sneaky feeling that quilt might just grow!

Sweet P said...

Happy Birthday month! My birthday it today! It seems there are a lot of birthdays this month. You got some great presents.

julieQ said...

Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Finnie....Happy birthday to you!!!

Libby said...

Sending lots of special good birthday wishes and hugs your way. Enjoy the day to the fullest - ah, heck . . . just celebrate the whole year round *s*

Happy Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!

Bec said...

Happy Birthday!
Could you please add me to your UFO challenge.
Almost all of my christmas presents are UFOs from last christmas. They aren't quilts so I hope this is ok.
I had 15 projects but finished 3 a couple of days ago, so now have 12 left.
Thanks, Bec xxx

Granny Lyn said...

Oh, you lucky girl!!! what a wonderful "birth-month" you're having!!

And the scrappy little squares sing to me!!

~Bren~ said...

Happy Birthday Finn!!!
Ok, so I am going in the wrong direction, but add 1 more UFO to my list. I have a small baby quilt top and plan to get it quilted and gifted by next month.

Barbara C said...

Your "built" quilt is perfect as is, but maybe you will make it bigger just for fun.

Many birthday hugs to you Finn! I hope you celebrate all month.

Holly said...

Happy birthday to fantastic and funtastic Finn :)

Sølvis blog said...

just a shot note to tell i have finished my challenge quilt number 3. pictures in my blog.
Solvi in norway

Sølvis blog said...

And happy bithday - I almost forgot!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

A very happy Birthday month-and well done with the yummy loot!
Love all the quilts you cleverly used as background! Tracey

Gypsy Quilter said...

Here's wishing you a warm and colorful birthday Finn!