Many of you will remember this quilt. Made years ago from a 9 patch project at a quilting retreat. I used my 9 patches(plus Betsy donated hers to me)and my tub of black scraps, to make the quilt. I liked it, and I utility quilted it. A couple of years ago, GS Nathaniel adopted it for his own. He's not hard on quilts like some boys are. It came home with me the day after New Years to be washed.
And this is what washing revealed and what makes me blue on this January Monday. Actually, it would make me blue ANY day. Scrappy blacks and not knowing what could happen. This is what ALL the poly or poly blends are doing...shredding, or fracturing, if you prefer. In a few places they are gone completely except for the 1/4" seam and the row of stitching. On close inspection, the bad strips are outnumbered by the good cotton ones, so mending is my answer. I feel the quilt has many good years left, if I deal with the fractured ones.
This is how I am doing that. Look close and note the PRINT pieces where lattice used to be. I don't see well enough to cover the bad ones in plain black. So I'm using print strips. I lay them over the rotted area, and sew down that first 1/4" by hand. Then I finger crease the other 3 sides and flip the patch into place and pin it. Using the same stitch as binding, I sew those 3 sides down by hand. So far I've patched roughly 12-15 spots..and have a few more to go. I'm happy that the cotton outnumbered the poly in those black scraps. It's slow work, but I've been doing it in the evenings as I watch TV.
On a happier note, I've joined the 2011 Rainbow Scraps Challenge at Super Scrappy. A color is assigned for each of the 12 months of this year, and you make whatever you want from scraps of that color. January is blue, and I'm using some of my blue scraps to make "you guessed it" 9 patches. I've gotten a late start since I just joined yesterday, but I'm ok with that. It is the result of a blog hopping trip last evening....love what turns up when you blog hop!!!
Clean walls, new quilts.
36 minutes ago