Thursday, June 01, 2006


May 31, 1958......bet you didn't know you'd be getting an ancient history lesson this past week and weekend, did you? I am very grateful for your good wishes, and thoughts about anniversaries of things past. I don't celebrate them as I might have. Things have changed. But, sometimes the Universe just stacks that ole deck, and you play with the cards you are dealt. It's not that I haven't moved past wedding anniversaries. I have. Being divorced was NOT my idea, but it's a hand that was dealt me, and I played it. This time of year, however, I wish I could just step "across"this date, rather than have to walk through. When I married on May 30, 1959, I was 18.5 yrs old. I had graduated on May 31st, the year before. And was 17 until October. I had begun college, I met him and the rest is just part of my scrapbag of memories . Say what you will, I believe time and space both anchor and subdue us, on this planet. We may rise to the stars, but we are earth bound creatures. The heavens and galaxy were NOT made for us. My head may have been in the stars, but my feet were firmly rooted in the earth, whether I liked it or not. In my opinion it's a tug of war that follows us through life, even when we become accceptant of it's reality. Over the past 10-12 yrs, I've become very ok with the place I am in my journey. I have challenges, but no struggles. I'm OK. It doesn't just happen, you have to work to get there, and I did. And a priceless reward is having a daughter who knows. Who has watched me "make it". And who loves me enough to take a day off from work, the Tuesday after Memorial day, and on the 30th to boot, and invite me for both the day, and a sleep over. And when I told her "I know what you are doing, and it's not necessary", replied, "oh, that?, I had completely forgotten about it being the 30th". This kid NEVER forgets ANYTHING....*VBS* Do you doubt my blessings????? Don't. Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Cher said...

how very lucky to have such a loving daughter in your life! I think though, she may be adopted, you can take some credit for this love she shows you-after all Finn I am quite sure you were a wonderful mom and she surely appreciated it!

Tracey said...

Of course you made it through. You are a strong person. That has been made abundately clear to me in reading your blog for the last year or so. :o) It's sad when we have no say-so in a situation/relationship that we are part of...but you've taken what was handed to you and moved on. It's wonderful that your dd is so willing to walk you through the anniversary day. That says so much about what kind of person/mom you are. :o)

(((HUGS)))

Judy said...

What a fabulous daughter! You are truly blessed and I didn't doubt it for a minute.

I know what you mean about walking over anniversaries in a way. September is like that for us around here. See.. My father died on Sept 6th, my FIL died on Sept 16th, 10 days later, same month....then my grandfather died on the 27th...same month. We around here skate through the month living in it, but not really living with it.

on a cheerier note...did you think that furball was 2 cats? Just one big hairball!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Your old pictures are so wonderful! And I know how lucky you are to have such great children and spirit.

Melanie said...

Daughters are the best!!!!It's good you write these things down. You can look back and so can she...
Be good-
Melanie

Patty said...

you are a wise soul my friend. Taking life as it comes, dealing with what you have and not being bitter when it turns out different than what you wanted at the time.

Ann said...

Aren't dd's wonderful? Yours sounds extra special. I'm sure she's that way because she was raised by a wonderful mother! Nice picture of yourself.

Laurie said...

Finn,
You are an amazing woman. You feet are firmly rooted on the ground! Thanks for sharing yourself with us!
Hugs
Laurie

Rae said...

Finn I am glad that you had such a caring person to be with on a dificult (spelling is not my strong suit.) day. I think that she must reflect your character tho. I also want to thank you for stopping by my blog & invite you back as I put something in todays blog with you in mind. Take care of yourself.

Lily Mulholland said...

I am loving these photos Finn. Keep 'em coming LOL.

You know we all make mistakes in love. Sometimes they erupt suddenly and sometimes they come on very slowly. Time heals most wounds and on the far side of the bust-up we can usually see it was definitely for the best.

I'm so glad that you have such a special bond with your daughter. It's a very important relationship (not that they always run smoothly!)

Joyce said...

You have just confirmed it. There is nothing better than grown up daughters. I have a beef that mothers on TV are nearly always depicted as ogres and never get along with their daughters. Seems to me that is as far from the truth as you can get in most cases.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Thanks for sharing your photos...I really enjoy seeing them.

Your DD is a very loving and caring person and knows just when to step in for assistance.

I'm very sorry that you had to suffer such a great loss, as the break up of your marriage, after being together for so many years. But I'm glad that you have survived and grown stronger and that you have so many friends, both there in your town and here in blogland.
*VBS*

Laura said...

Finn your spirit in life is amazing! And you have raised a beautiful daughter!