Thursday, February 08, 2007

Slower than molasses.....

that would be me, these days. I seem to be moving about the same speed as that old dependable sweetener of days gone by. I suspect most young people today haven't a clue what an important role that dark, pungent liquid played in the
diets of their ancestors. By the time I was growing up in the early 1940's, molasses was all but forgotten in my part of the world. But then, I was a city kid, maybe it still had it's place in rural America. I know that molasses was one of the commodities given out each month to the WPA workers. Between 1935 and 1940, my Dad worked WPA. He was one of the ones who planted miles and miles of pine trees along the roadsides running south to north, in WC Wisconsin. I have a recipe for molasses cookies(which are much like a molasses biscuit or shortbread) that my Mom received with the WPA molasses, way back then. I know they also got lard, bulgar(a dried wheat product) and coffee I think. Not sure what else. Molasses is made from sugar cane, and is the product prior to refining it. Eventually you get white sugar. I don't think WI raises sugar cane, but they do grow tons and tons of sugar beets over in the central part of the state.
Anyway....I'm way off track today, LOL, what I am is slower than molasses at getting enough blocks for my broken dishes pattern.*VBS*. I now have about 90+ of the hour glass blocks, but I need well over a hundred. So I've been cutting scrap into 6" squares, splitting and sewing, and splitting and sewing again. I've been having fun with it, and am getting some laundry done while I stitch. We are cold, cold, cold again today. But only a - 6 this morning...could be worse...*G*
Ebby buries her nose under her curled tail, and snoozes anywhere that feels warm. I wear an extra tshirt under my sweatshirt, and my warmest sweatpants. A good day for black bean soup I think, for lunch. A bit more sewing and a bit of cleaning, and a trip to town for milk and fruit.
Tonight is the first episode of the newest Survivor..*VBG* I'm a confirmed, dyed in the wool, long time Survivor fan. I've watched every season, liking some more than others, but only missing an occasional episode. I've always been there for the final tribal council..*S* They are in Fiji this time, and since the chance are very slim that I will EVER be in Fiji, or Guam, or the Canary Islands, or Guatamala, I'll keep watching as long as they make it exciting. If for no other reason than the scenery...*VBS*. It's good to have things to look forward to...besides spring..*G*

13 comments:

Jeanne said...

Hi Finn!

Lotsa blocks ... LOTSA triangles!!!

Keep warm ~
Hugs, Jeanne :)

Carolyn said...

Finn, I haven't had molasses in my pantry since I moved back to NJ. I used to make molasses cookies...wonder what ever happened to the recipe? Sounds like you're making the best of a cold situation...I wonder how my grandmother and mother used to get through the winters in Racine...seems to me there was always a cold wind coming off of Lake Michigan. Of course, in the summers when I was there it was always a hot breeze by the time it got the 3 or 4 blocks inland to my grandmother's house! Take care, stay warm and have fun quilting. It sounds as if your eye has improved?

McIrish Annie said...

Finn, I am a longtime Survivor fan too! I remember the first one! we we were on a Disney cruise and my DH had set up the VCR to tape the final show. We had to run through the airport on our return from Florida so he wouldn't see any newspapers or magazines with the picture of the winner!!

I'll be in front of the TV tonight with my flannel PJs and my knitting!!

Anonymous said...

I'm in a slooooow mood, as well, these days, Finn. Must be winter....
And I'm a Survivor fan, as well ! It only begins in June, by us. I never miss one episode (one a week). The landscapes are spendid, and it's always amazing to watch how the candidates can become mean and selfish, when being "hungry"... When they have to face difficulties, or privations, some people show their real nature, which is not always nice... Fortunately, some of them are tough guys and girls !

Big hugs !
NADINE.

Paula, the quilter said...

Yes! Another Survivor fan! And you know what? I still have molasses in my pantry for Gingersnap cookies.

His Office, My Studio said...

Me too I will be watching Surviror. I think the cold is making our bodies work slower then normal.

Shelina said...

Thanks for the history lesson Finn. Things I didn't know. I like history.
I made some molasses cookies once and took them to work. People didn't eat them because I used a "weird" ingredient - molasses. I have some in my pantry too.

Shelina said...

Oh yeah, and with that many blocks, it always feels like there are always so many more to do, and then suddenly you are done. Looks like you aren't too far from the done stage. You'll be missing making the blocks in no time.

meggie said...

I still have a tin of molasses in my pantry too... but I cant remember why! I dont do much baking these days- we dont need the 'burden' of having to eat it! LOL.
Keep warm!

Libby said...

I'll be right behind you (PST *s*) watching Survivor. Skipped a few seasons, but the last one pulled me right back in again. Can't wait to see what they dish up for 'twists' this time.

Clare said...

When my Mother worked on a stud near Newmarket racecourse, she used to put Molasses in the horse's feeds during the winter. I used to love it! Hope you and Ebby are keeping warm.

Vicky said...

I love molasses - but then again, I'm from sugarcane country! Cane syrup (which I think is just a thinner version of molasses) is a staple in my pantry. My favorite breakfast growing up (and still is) is hot cornbread with butter and cane syrup. I get cane syrup in my Christmas and birthday care packages from Louisiana!

Thanks for reminding me to whip up some tomorrow morning!!

Katie said...

My DH's family made sorghum molasses on their farm in Arkansas. It was a boiling off process like making maple syrup was in Michigan. They ate it and sold some too. I have a very old recipe for German Christmas Cookies that uses molasses. It is so old that it calls for a lump of lard the size of an egg and to cover the batter and store it in the attic (to cool it). I have a modern version which I make.