Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The hours....


slip by, lost in the steady tick tock of my clock as time passes. Eventually you have lived long enough, that what 'was' fills more space in your mind, than what 'is'. The picture was taken the year I graduated, 1958. I don't think it had anything to do with my graduation, there was no party or family celebration back then. I received cards and gifts from friends, but it wasn't a big deal as it is made to be these days.
The lady on the left is Aunt Lucille, the one who got me started quilting. She is my Dad's oldest sister and at 98, still lives in Kansas City, MO. The man is my Dad's oldest brother, Darwin. He could have been a favorite of mine, but he teased and tormented us so endlessly we, we loathed him. His wife, my Auntie Florence is on the right. A sweet and gentle spirit, not quite as quick witted as most members of the Smith family. I think she suffered fools quietly, or else just didn't 'get it'. She was a great favorite of mine, always happy to see me and had cookies and homemade bread for the asking. I spent alot of time at her house, playing with my cousin Sharon, who was from Feb. to Oct older than me. She also was deaf mute, but we managed quite well, even before sign language. Sharon was the only girl with 3 brothers. I had two sisters. Sharon, the dark haired one, me the windblown blond, couldn't have looked more different from each other than we did. I was tall and leggy, a skinny kid, Sharon was short, compact and never skinny or ackward. We were as close as can be until it was time for her to go to Delavan, WI's School for the Deaf, her high school years. Somehow we grew apart at that point, and I saw little of her anymore. I was at her wedding, the summer I graduated. She married a deaf boy from the Milwaukee area and went on to have 3 daughters, all hearing. I married a year later, and she was at my wedding. I only saw her once or twice over the next number of years, and one last time at her Mom's funeral in the early 1990's.
It's funny how you can spend so much of your life in conjunction with someone, and then move on to the next stage, having little to no contact with them. It seems to be the way it is, or maybe not. If there is a base for you to connect to, or stay connected with, maybe you do. Or maybe if you stay in the area where you grew up, it makes things more likely to continue. Or maybe it's just me. I don't have the answer, I only have the questions. I seem to be in a pattern, these past months, of "sorting" out my life, like I do my fabric. Some to use right now, some to save for later, some to discard, or pass along to someone else. And a large pile to wonder about...*VBS*
The witching hour is fast approaching and my bed is pre-warmed by an early turn on of the EB....Ebony has taken up her favorite spot at the foot of the bed, and it's time for me to join her. I leave you to ponder all things past, if you've a mind to, and if not, think about this little ditty..*G*
"I gave my soup, I gave my bread, I gave my heart....I kept my head".

14 comments:

Maggie Ann said...

How interesting your writings are. I like to read them..its like a book, you take your readers places and make us think. While watching some tv tonight, I was thinking that while watching tv, I wasn't aware of the heat of the sun, or wind, or fear etc in the movie. But the book I just finished 'Hidden Places'(such a good read!) by Lynn Austin, made me live with the people and plot. I felt what they felt. I missed them when the story ended. what a beautiful thing the written word is. Very special. I think of the verse....'In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.' I believe it...=) Wishing you some sunshine on your shoulders for tomorrow dear Finn.

Maggie Ann said...

Just noticed on my way out your 'back door' that your sidebar content is at the very bottome of your blog. Why I'm wondering? I haven't switched to the new blogger yet. Is it really ok now?

quiltpixie said...

Its wonderful to hear your thoguths Finn. As an only child of parents who were not either emotionally or physically close to their siblings, I find it inteterseting to hear about relationships with extended family... While I haven't "left" family as I've moved from one stage of life to the next I've "left" best, most intimate friends... as you say, we've just drifted apart... There's a lingering sadness in the days while that's happenings, but I've come to accept that most friends are for companionship on the journey, not actually going to the same place on the same path as I...

Katie said...

Oh, how much I too relate to the past filling more and more of my mind. I have felt guilty for not doing what was necessary to keep contact with family and friends I had along my life jouney. But now I'm thinking they were there for that part of my path and that was good. Nothing more is needed. I never would have deamed I'd have found you down this path. I wonder who I'll find down the next one. Thanks for helping me think about this. Katie

His Office, My Studio said...

I have been thinking of lost family members and friends for months. Not knowing why we drifted apart. Quiltpixie answered it for me. We are just on a journey but not the same path. I have loved a person with all my heart for over 20 years and we were so close and now in the past 3 years we talked maybe 2 times. It must of been the fork in the path. One of us went right and the other went left.

Elaine Adair said...

Heavy-duty thoughts here .You write so thoughtfully. Even some of the comments give me more pause for contemplation.

Graduation? I remember mine - my grandparents came over - that was all - and my mother and my grandmother opened my Graduation Gift and I didn't even know I HAD a gift. (Luggage - what else) Those were the times, weren't they? Makes me question all the hoopla today - to me, it was part of the process, graduation was completely expected -- now, there are so many drop outs, it's reason to make a big deal out of growing up. Good or bad?

People along the journey? Yes, different paths, even from those we depended on to remain on the same path, for their benefit, not for mine.

Rae said...

I enjoy your little journies into the past that you take us on. I try to do that now and then but mine feel more like stories. I wish I could take others along with me down those lanes, as you do.

Rae said...

this is a PS to my other comment. I ment to invite you to my blog to see the patterns. They are really pictures of patterns that my grandmother had collected. After that post I found a stash of blocks that she did working out some of those patterns. Stop by if you've a mind.

meggie said...

Love your writing & thoughts Finn.
Touch so many chords in my being.

meggie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cher said...

thoughtful and thought provoking as always Finn...glad to see a bit of sun and Ebby enjoying it in the earlier post-sounds like you are piecing once more-that's good! hugs

Libby said...

Finn, you have such a wonderful way with words *s* It's funny how friendships and relationships can evolve and sometimes just slip away . . . not from lack of care, but just because. You sure do make me think sometimes *s*

Carolyn said...

I haven't thought of Delavan in years. I had a great aunt with a house on the lake. I remember fishing off of the dock, using chicken fat as bait. We would take the boat out...such fun. Then we would come inside and if we were very good, we were allowed to play cards with my great aunt, grandmother and whichever of their sisters happened to be at the lake. Spite and Malice, Double (or triple or however many people we had!) Solitaire...what wonderful memories! Thanks for bringing them on...

Shelina said...

Such an interesting post. I've done that too - had best friends who I haven't talked to forever. Some I've forgotten - I read my old diary about some friend, and I have no recollection who they are. I guess they served their purpose in my life.

Some still seem like best friends, even though I haven't talked to them forever. Some of them I can keep in touch with through the magic of email.

Maybe you can send her a quilted postcard or just a note to let her know you are thinking about her.