Saturday, February 24, 2007

A Wild and Windy day...

and I have spent most of it quilting, in the front room,and watching movies on the Hallmark channel. They had a Sarah, Plain and Tall marathon this afternoon. It's a group of movies I really enjoy, with Glenn Close playing Sarah.
It's been quite a while since I've done much quilting, and it felt good to be running the lines of stitches again. If I make enough progress, I'll show you, soon. I thought I was done showing pictures from the Small Endearments book, but I came across this one. And since I've been knee deep in the broken dishes lately, this lay out really appealed to me. It's a child's quilt, from the last quarter of the nineteenth century, and is 34" X 34". I took the time

to zoom in on the center setting and enlarge it. Click on the picture for a better view(I hope). The piecing of the rest is pretty straight forward.For the center,it looks like you would cut HSTs to match the size of a 4 dishe row, and add those to the 4 outer corners. The 4 smaller triangles would be cut as setting triangles from one square. I'm not sure why they used the large red center square, probably personal preferance. I think scrappy broken dishes, set with a nice rusty red plaid would be great! I'm saving this one for future referance.
We got the blast of the storm that hit the West coast on Thursday. Not alot of snow, but super strong winds and white out conditions. It's cold enough that the snow is dry and really blows around. I've battened down the hatches, and hunkered down with a pot of homemade soup and time to quilt. Hope you are all safe, happy and content tonight. (saturday evening post(LOL), and Blogger wasn't having any of THAT!) So here it is this morning...snow total, Twin Cities, 13.5" so far. I find myself thinking of Mary, from the Heartstrings project, spending her first winter in Mpls...*S* Welcome to the midwest winters Mary!

9 comments:

Cher said...

unusual setting Finn- I am sure you will come up with a great quilt however you decide to set your hourglass blocks together. We have lots of rain here today.

quiltpixie said...

I love the little quilt pattern using broken dishes... I too saved it in an "inspiration" file.

Diana said...

I don't know if it's the unusual setting or the red and the cheddar together, but it's really charming!

Sweet P said...

Another adorable quilt. I so want to find this book withouthaving to order it on-line.

Mary is supposed to be flying home today (Sunday). I hope she makes me home OK.

Nellie's Needles said...

It sure looks like red is used as a neutral in this lively little quilt. Makes me think of Freddy Moran.

Tazzie said...

That is a very cute quilt Finn, what a wonderful book you have there, so many treasures!
I'm so pleased you're quilting, it's just so therapeutic isn't it?
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Quilts And Pieces said...

I have been loving your pictures from small endearments so much I purchased the book used on amazon! It is suppose to arrive Monday or Tues! I can't wait!

meggie said...

I stand in awe of very small quilts!
How is Ebby?
(((O))) hugs!

Patti said...

Love Sarah Plain and Tall! I have the set of three movies on DVD and regularly have a "Sarah movie-thon" about once a year.

Small Endearments is one of my favorites of all the books I have on antique quilts. I could look at that book for hours. Now you have me wanting to make some little quilts. I'm slapping my hands and saying "No, no!" I msut finish more UFO's.

Did you notice that your hour glass - aka broken dishes - blocks called to me until I had to make a bunch of my own? I've really enjoyed working on these!