Saturday, April 14, 2007

An Inconvenient truth.......

and one of my many secrets *VBS*, I'm NOT a disciplined person. It's not that discipline is unknown to me. Doing what you are told when you are a child is the shortest route to freedom. I comply but only enough to get to where I want to be. With my kids I used a "easy going style, with a no nonsense attitude". It
worked for the most part.
The inconvenient truth now is that I really! need to clean and re-organize my sewing room and stash. Horrible, terrible things have happened in my stash over the past year. I've resisted buying fabric and am using stash instead. BUT....I'm not putting things away neatly when I'm done. This pic is just a tiny peek at the mess I need to deal with.....and I will....soon! There is to be a major 'shift' in my spaces on April 28th *VBS* I've been trying to fit my quilting into the small bedroom of this town house since last April when I got new furniture. Let's just say, it can't be done...at least not by me. So the dependable kids, DD#1 and my favorite SIL are coming to 'do it'. I will give you more details in a future post...it's going to be awesome!! See Patti, you inspire me!!
And now, carefully dodging any and all discipline, I pulled out these FQ packs. I have 5 of them(homespuns) with 8 FQ's in each. I've decided on a project that calls for 6 different center colors, paired with a fabrics that you have 5/8th yd. of. I'm going to do this with parts of those 20 FQ's. I'm not being difficult, honest.
It's just that they only use 12 colors. When you cut your 5 center squares of each color, you always pair it with the
same contrasting fabric. That seems boring to me. These directions are from a Slash a Stash quilt by Susan Fuquay, 2003.
And here is what the first block looks like. I need 30 blocks for a 67" X 78" quilt. Once you get all the combo blocks made you stack them and cut through all of them at an irregular size. From the center, 2 parts will be 3.5" square, 1 smaller square and 2 rectangles. You re-shuffle them and sew them back together. It's NOT what I ought to be doing, or should be doing. But since the tulips and daffodils and grass are still far off on the horizon, I'm adding some post 'tax-time' color to my world...*VBS* Finn says "play day".

12 comments:

Libby said...

You can never go wrong with a homespun *s*

Nellie's Needles said...

oooooo...can't wait to see this one!

Fiona said...

I'm with Libby, you can never go wrong with a plaid and only 12 colours , sacrilege to scrapaholics, 40 is a much better number :-)

Patti said...

Oh Finn - I wish I could come help! What a lovely way to spend a day that would be!

Love the homespuns, of course - but I can't imagine working with sunch a limited number of colors!

Kairle Oaks said...

This is going to be an amazing quilt once it's finished! Go, go, go...we can't wait!

bettsylyn (Lynda) said...

Do you rent these wonderful people out? Do they want a trip to Australia? I need some people to help me. I have volunteers but they don't want to tidy - they just want to throw. I definately need someone who understands.
Love your colours too.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Finn says play day and I say,"great fun". Love the colours in the checks, can't waitt to see how it turns out. Oh, and about the stash0mine looks similar to yours but everytime i read Patti, I attempt to improve! Cheers, Tracey

tami said...

I have the exact same problem with using my stash. I have stacks and stacks of fabric that need to be refolded and put away. :c(

YankeeQuilter said...

I was once told that you had to have 72 fabrics in a quilt for it to be a scrap quilt...I've never seen that "rule" written down anywhere but I then spent hours counting the fabrics in my Christmas sampler - only 64. I had to figure a way to use 8 fabric in my border and binding! That is why I hate rules!

Love the homespun colors! Good luck with organizing...my goals are simple - a clear path to the sewing machine.

Carol E. said...

I have the same problem in my sewing area... I need some "professional help" to get it all sorted out and re-organized. It takes too much time away from sewing for ME to attempt that. Besides, it's too daunting. Love your quilt in progress.

Malagueta said...

Gorgeous plaids!!! I can't wait to see the quilt.

Lynn Dykstra said...

I have never been a neat person, but I used to be better about cleaning up my fabrics a the end of a project--I look at my sewing area now, and there are fabrics strewn around from several quilts back.
How I lost that good habit, I do not know.