Sunday, April 15, 2007

S.O.S......

send help! Or in my case, "sort out stash". A bit more of yesterdays reveal. And this is just the big closet in the master bedroom. Is there more? Oh my! I'm
blushing with embarassment, but yes, there are also computer paper boxes with parts and pieces of yardages that need refolding and stacking.
I don't find these inexpesive shelves my DD got me to be what I really need. So I will be shopping for a better storage(for in the closet) system. And suggestions are greatly appreciated. I don't feelI use have open shelves out in this bigger room, I get lots of morning sun. Even the light from the north window will fade yardages. I'd be happy to put these shelves in the garage if I can

find something that works better. Maybe at Ikea?
I love the comments about the new project yesterday, hope some of you joined me in a 'play day'. Apparently I'm not the only one without a nice neat organized(like Patti..who is my idol in organization!), and that makes me feel much better. Some of the best advice I got was from Sio at http://scrapsandthreadtales.blogspot.com/ she said, "only one rule, clear a path to the sewing machine".....thanks Sio!! I went one step further and moved the machine to the nice cleared-off-dining room table...*VBS*

9 comments:

quiltpixie said...

your stash organization brings a smile to my face -- as long as you can find it (even by tossing through the pile like a salad) I figure its organized -- who determined that yardage and pieces needed to be carefully folded and neatly stacked? Yes you might need to press before cutting, but hey, there's worse things! :-)

laura west kong said...

I don't have any photos on my blog, but here's what I use for my stash: those square wire cube things that you put together with circular plastic end caps. You can build them into any shape you like and put more and more sets together for a bigger stash (mine covers an entire wall now, but I still have to periodically reorganize, but the spaces are smaller so you can subdivide better) The best place to buy them is Costco (when they have them) but you can also find them at Target, WalMart and Bed Bath & Beyond.

Cher said...

hey Finn, I have the storables wire baskets in a rolling frame for my quilting room closet...let me know if you want a photo...you can pull out a basket and take it to the table-or just open it and get what you want-you can see what is what in them, and you can roll the whole thing out if you need to-I have solid pieces on the top and then lined up, I have a "shelf" to put more stuff on!

Shelina said...

If you spend too much time cleaning, you won't have enough time to quilt. As long as you know where everything is, that is what matters. I put my fabric in a dresser. Everything is hidden, and nobody can see how bad it is. When I want something, I can fish for it. I have it stacked sideways, like a bookshelf, so I can see all the fabric is in there. Sometimes I have to buy more fabric to make sure all of it stands up straight. LOl.

Kathy said...

Hi, Love the SOS name - I will have to put it on my list that way - doing the same thing with my stash.
Mine is in a closet - I measured and went to California Closets (more than a decade ago!) and had shelving cut for it. My father installed it then - but I think they now charge the same whether they install or not. So, if you are in a closet - its worth it.
The wire baskets they all talk about - I think over time you would still have a weight issue - eventually they will begin to bow in the middle. I have the wire cubicles (?spelling) elsewhere with great pull out fabric open boxes made to fit them - keep presents, other craft projects in them for now. But they have a weight limit and as you build them up they become more unstable - You want something attached to the wall in my opinion. Have you looked at that book on Setting up your quilting room - it really is great and would give you several ideas how you could store your fabric. Whew - I have said way too much! Thanks for listening!

Kathy said...

And then I forgot to say - I like your blog!

Unknown said...

Finn - I love those homespun fabrics in your last post - sounds like a simple but lovely design for a quilt - as for storage - who am I to talk - my stash is all in removal company boxes in our loft, one for each colour and I have to get DH to lift them down for me, although DD1 is now physically strong enough and more amenable to doing that job now, at least she doesn't mutter about housework and priorities as she moves them :o)

Paula, the quilter said...

I have the vinyl coated wire shelving like Judy (Quilting with Ragdolls) does and I love it. I also keep mine in the closet.

Nancy said...

LOL! Wish I could help you but as I am SOOOOO not organized it would truly be the blind leading the blind! But I'm trying as I only had that "path to the sewing machine" that Sio suggested to you! Good luck to both of us as we try to tame the clutter monster.